[CLUE-Talk] Political compass

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Nov 3 16:27:17 MST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:34:13 -0700
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> > I wound up spending time pondering what the underlying "bent" of some
> > of them were,
>
> I think you're maybe just supposed to answer instinctively.  You sound
> like the kind of guy who ruins demographic studies, trying to second
> guess the testers.  From their FAQ:
>
>  + http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/faq.html
>
> <quote>
> 1.  Some of the questions are slanted

Oh, I expected the questions to be slanted Wouldn't do much good if they
weren't. And I didn't answer any of them based on whether I thought my
response would be judged as left/right/up/down/whatever. I just thought
that some of them weren't well suited to gauge things, as they were either
poorly worded, or offered the participant a (is this the correct usage?)
Hobson's choice.

I'm not saying I was grossly misjudged either. If their reading list is
any indicator, the got the proper quadrant, at least. I like both Ayn Rand
and P.J. O'Rourke. Haven't read Friedman, but I suspect I'd like him too.

jed