[CLUE-Talk] RH end-of-life

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Tue Nov 4 05:44:36 MST 2003

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

>I'm doing a piece for LWN on the end-of-life for Red Hat Linux
>"consumer" products. I'm kind of curious -- for the RH users on the
>list, are you planning on switching to Fedora, or to another Linux
>distro? What are your thoughts on the situation? Is this a smart move
>for RH, etc.

I've been running the beta 3 of Fedora for almost a month now, and am
very, very happy with it. It had the smoothest installation of any
version of Linux I've yet installed: all my hardware was recognized and
configured without problems, including my PDA and camera. This is a
first for any flavor of Linux I've used. Thus far, it seems to do the
job for me as a SOHO user very nicely. I plan on continuing to use it
when the final version is released later this week.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of abandoning the Red Hat name as a tactic,
but RH has indicated that they will continue to support the community
using Fedora. There's been a lot of discussion in the Fedora mailing
lists as to how well they will do this, but the feeling is that they
will be using Fedora as the test bed for programs to be merged into
their Enterprise version and so have a vested interest to support it
well and keep it up to date with security patches.

If using Fedora falls through, then I will probably go to using RH
Professional Workstation, which is the across-the-counter version of
RHEL Workstation.

And if that doesn't work, I'll probably return to Slackware. Or maybe SuSE.

BOF