[CLUE-Talk] Political compass

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Nov 5 17:48:03 MST 2003

On 11-03 06:56, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> Here's an interesting anonymous survey to determine
> where you stand in the political arena.  Good
> questions, designed to evoke responses.  It plots your
> some example historical figures for each quadrant for
> reference.
>
> http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/index.html
>
> I ended up in the 'Libertarian Left' quadrant (Gandi,
> Dali Lama, Nelson Mandela) - not surprising if you've
> read my posts here. :)
>
> Economic Left/Right: -2.00
> Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08
>
> If your bored at work take it and post your results.
> I'm curious to see how other CLUEbies rate - I suspect
> a lot of us (by our interest in Linux) may end up on
> the Libertarian side.  But, you never know.

Heh. I gotta wonder about this test. First of all, I *really* wonder what
the question about attention span, and how they perceived that as putting
someone to the right or left or libertarian/authoritarian. I mean, is that
really a left vs. right thing? I've seen both the far left (Chomsky) and the
far right (numerous talk show hosts) decry just that very thing. In fact,
Chomsky has a word to describe the requirement to get an explanation of a
viewpoint or issue in under a few minutes. Anything that requires more
explanation will not be heard, and will probably be roundly dismissed as
kookdom. I forget the word - he mentions it in the movie Manufacturing
Consent.

Anyway, I ended up on the economic left(!) and libertarian scale...landing
almost right next to Chretian - Canada's answer to Dan Quayle. I demand a
recount. Or a better test.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
It is said that for money you can have everything, but you cannot. You can buy
food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; knowledge but not wisdom;
glitter, but not beauty; fun, but not joy; acquaintances, but not friends;
servants, but not faithfulness; leisure, but not peace. You can have the husk
of everything for money, but not the kernel.
-Arne Garborg