[CLUE-Talk] Political compass

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sun Nov 9 08:46:21 MST 2003

On 11-08 14:55, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:01:18PM -0700, Jeff Cann wrote:
> > On Friday 07 November 2003 9:13 am, Randy Arabie wrote:
> >
> > > I thought documentaries were supposed to be based on fact...
> >
> > I think that may be a misconception.  Documentaries are the director's
> > interpretation of the facts - much like a columnist writes an opinion based
> > on his interpretation.  Most documentaries end up being closer to the facts
> > than an actual film, since a film is generally fiction or 'based on a story'.
> >
> > Besides, didn't you say that everyone's biased, so aren't documentarians?
>
> True.  Guess you got me there.
>
> However, I think Moore took his interpretation of the facts a
> bit far with his short cartoon, A Brief History of America,
> in which he painted the NRA as a bunch of ex-Klansmen,
> racists.

Yeah, I found that wholly ridiculous, and frankly, offensive. After all,
there will be plenty of impressionable folks who think this is a purely
factual movie. Also, what is said about Littleton and Lockheed doesn't have
any real logical grounding, IMHO. And what does that plaque under that plane
about the bombing on Christmas have to do with Columbine? How many kids do
you suppose read that plaque?

To tell you the truth, this movie was pretty incredible in the way it
plucked at the emotions[0]...but as for any sort of cohesion, well, all I can
say is that I doubt the movie would have gotten half the accolades it got if
it wasn't ripping on "gun nuts", the dreaded NRA, and aspects of bourgeoise
America.

He even admits himself toward the end of the movie that he's not sure why we
have more gun deaths [1] than other countries. It's not, according to the
movie, access to guns. It's not a history of violence.

I did wholeheartedly enjoy the bit where he spoofs "Cops" and takes down a
white collar criminal. I agree with what is said when he's talking to the
producer? of "Cops" - that when white collar criminals are arrested, the
police treat them like one of the city fathers...anyone who is being
arrested for stealing that much money needs to be treated the same way as
any (nonviolent) common street criminal. Which would probably mean a knee or
foot on the neck and a little roughing up before or after handcuffing. What
ever happened to Kenneth Lay, anyway?[2] At first, when that whole story
broke, the media and Democrats alike (I know, I know, the media is not
biased) were going to Get To The Bottom Of This [Bush] Scandal. When it
turned out there were many Clinton ties as well, the story sort of faded
away. Has anyone been following Enron, Global Crossing, etc.?

[0] Anyone watch the special features on the DVD where he meets some young
girl who was a survivor of Columbine? I felt uncomfortable here, because it
really seemed that he was exploiting her for this, and his emotion didn't
really come off as genuine at all. Of course, IMHO. It was the same way I
felt when, in the movie, he's consoling the teacher of the young girl who
was shot at school.

[1] Anyone else notice that all the deaths he was tallying up were GUN
deaths? Hmmm.....

[2] I know it's easy to blame anyone at the top, but hey, CxOs and VPs get
paid top dollar because there is a lot of responsibility involved.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Habit and routine have an unbelievable power to waste and destroy.
-Henri de Lubac, "Paradoxes"