[CLUE-Talk] Political compass

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sun Nov 9 12:39:12 MST 2003

On Sunday 09 November 2003 10:02 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> For a good read on the fear factor, read Bruce Schneier's latest book,
> "Beyond Fear". Schneier makes many good points on this subject, one of
> which is that people form their opinions about threats/risks based on
> reports of exceptional cases. The stories which make the news are things
> such as traffic accidents, workplace shootings, etc., while the mundane
> good news about the number of people who live through another day without
> incident is unreported. That's the nature of news reporting, but people
> make invalid assesments about their risks because the hear these reports,
> and don't consider the flip side.

I agree - thanks for the reference - Schneier's one of the more sensible
people I've read.

Do you think people's inability to form their own conclusions, based on fact,
is a problem throughout the ages of man, or one related to our 'modern' world
-- one where information / entertainment are mixed at times and information
is so easy to get that it may not be high quality (just read my blog for an
example!).

Curious.
Jeff
--