[CLUE-Talk] HELP!

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Nov 15 19:01:33 MST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:54:43 -0700
"Casey Marincin" <consolejockey01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to get a distribution of Linux installed onto my new
> computer, but I have two dilemmas.  First, I have trimmed down my
> distribution options to either the new Mandrake or Lycoris.  Which one
> should I choose (keep in mind I am completely new to Linux and want to
> use it primarily for writting programs and playing music)?  Also, I have
> no idea exactly which files that I need to download.  I want to have my
> hardrive partitioned for both Linux and Windows (I don't even know how
> to partition my harddrive yet), so should I choose a cd-bootable iso or
> a harddrive-bootable iso?  Can someone give me an explicit step-by-step
> instruciton list for what files I need to download and how to install
> Linux?

It would help to know what, if anything, is already installed on your new
machine. If you're planning on installing Windoze *after* installing
Linux, here's a doc that explains that process.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO.html

Also, if this machine has Windoze pre-installed, did you get full
distribution disks, or just a "recovery" disk (which might not be able to
do a reinstall to a resized/different partition).

If you're going to install Linux first, then Windows, you can create
whatever partitions you need during the Linux install.

jed