[CLUE-Talk] How many more times can RH shoot itself in the foot?

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Mon Nov 17 12:00:49 MST 2003

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> [snip]
>
>I'm curious to see how well Fedora does at meeting the needs of the former RHL users... I thought Fedora Core was okay, but I haven't actually been using it 24/7.
>
>Zonker

As a "former" RHL user, since 3.0.3 -

I have FC1 going on about 6 machines.  So far it feels very much like a
RedHat .0 release - new and interesting things some of which don't quite
work properly - everything else is very much the same.  I've even setup
a yum repository (FC will use up2date, yum and apt - nice change) for
updates and installs.  So, I'm, looking forward to FC2 or FC1 with
updates.  At this point I'm investigating moving distributions because
I'm more worried about where FC will go versus what it is as a "product".

As to RedHat's need for financial support, I've purchased every version
of RHL since about 4.1 and I have a few RHN subscriptions.  I understand
their financial need, I just wish they wouldn't have created such a gap
between what they had before and the pricing for their new enterprise
products.  Not the money so much as it will decrease the amount of
people using RHL (now RHEL) and therefore less support for it from the
outside world.

Hopefully, Fedora fills this gap - more from a perspective view as
opposed to a technical view.  If so, Fedora will truly be RHL rebranded,
if not, it will dwindle.

FC1 - So far, it has a nice beat you can almost dance to....

-d