[CLUE-Talk] Bruce Peren's talk

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Wed Oct 8 23:30:18 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 22:59, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> As I find myself building more from source, I find it harder to keep using
> an RPM-based distribution, although I could also extend the same thinking
> to debs, I suppose. But I note that I don't believe I'll ever really want
> to build things such as XFree and glibc from source (I might change my
> mind if I get around to trying Gentoo). It's nice to have packages for the
> base system stuff. When I build from source, it's because I've found the
> packager's choice of configure options to be sub-optimal.

You might try Checkinstall:
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=8472/ur0307f/

It allows you to create a package at the same time you're compiling from
source, and it's pretty easy to install and use. It does RPMs, debs and
Slackware packages -- on the respective systems, or with the appropriate
software installed. For example, it can't create Debian packages on a
Red Hat system without dpkg and such installed.

Share and enjoy!

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net
http://www.dissociatedpress.net