[CLUE-Talk] RE: CLUE-Talk digest, Vol 1 #977 - 8 msgs

Joe Daily jdaily at mines.edu
Thu Oct 9 14:04:07 MDT 2003

I understand branding and all of the little things that companies do to give
themselves an advantage. But remember that Linux as a whole has a great
advantage over the *nixs, Linux is not controlled by a school (BSD) or any
company for that matter. Most of us, have seen the rise of standard
organizations for Linux and we see the benefits for that, if red hat wants
to shoot themselves in the foot who are we to try to stop them? And ask
yourself; how many lines of code are there in your Linux system? Does Red
Hat's couple thousand lines really matter? Give it time and I will bet that
we will be seeing better config tools popup in others distros.

I was once told by Linus himself that open source is about open ideas and a
place to share them. If Red Hat continues, on this NDA plan for enterprise
server, does it really matter? And besides, have you ever seen any Red Hat
tool that you couldn't go to Freshmeat and download one you liked better or
find a better one in kde's or gnome's tools?

One thing that they hinted about was the Red Hat was more in the business of
integrating and simplfing a Linux install/config, just like more commercial
*nixs. Most of us have to admit that if everybody in the world used red hat
we would be finding another os or distro to run.

BTW. NASA reports that modifying gentoo to compile with the Intel optimized
compliers and starting from a stage 1 install on a dual xeon 3.06 GHz
machine results in a 40% sustained computing increase over redhat 7.3. Why
do we need redhat at all?

Later

Joe
jdaily at mines.edu