[CLUE-Talk] The military takes a cue from Microsoft

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Mon Oct 13 21:34:39 MDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 08:47 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2003 09:03:59 -0600
>
> "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:
> > Some of the soldiers haven't even seen these letters -- some admitted to
> > signing a letter like this, and some say they agree with the sentiment,
> > but hadn't seen the letter previously nor had they signed it.
>
> Also, from the discussion over at TalkLeft, from the Mil. regs:
>
> <quote>
> A member on active duty may:

> 6. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper expressing the member's
> personal views on public issues or political candidates, if such action is
> not part of an organized letter-writing campaign or concerted solicitation
> of votes for or against a political party or partisan political cause or
> candidate.
> </quote>
>
> Sounds as if the Colonel messed up here.
>
> jed

Personally, I have little problem that except for the simply problem that
letters were sent where several soldiers did not sign it, read it, or
acknowledge it. It was only upon it being mentioned to them, did they know
about it. That sounds way off.

Don't get me wrong. If the colonel did it, it was wrong. But I am not
convinced that he did it. One of the things that I have noticed is that this
admin is busy blaming black-ops, the military, and everybody else except for
themselves.

BTW, as to the earlier discussion about WMDs, do any of you honestly believe
that Sadaam was not busy producing biologicals or chemicals weapons? If so,
you are only kidding your self. It is trivial to produce biologicals and
there is a huge number of countries and entities out there doing so. In fact,
N. Korea from what I have heard is now a huge producer, for the time that we
launch an invasion.
As to chemicals, while I have never studied or worked with the production of
such (as opposed to biologicals), I understand that it is fairly easy to
produce a number of them. Do not kid your self. Sadaam was producing these.

But then again, so is just about every nation on this planet. Both of these
are way too easy.

As to Nuclear, well that is a different matter. W. produced no credible
evidence. He was warned not to mention it in his state of the union, yet he
did so. He then blamed the black-ops in spite of the fact that they told him
not to (just like he did for 9/11). There is not one shred of evidence in
existence (at least shown yet), that would back up his statements. However,
it was known before the Iraq escalation that N. Korea was producing and quite
possible had several.
In addition, NK has the ability to hit at least California and possibly into
NORAD (Note: that is front range. Colorado). That makes NK a clear and
present danger whereas Iraq was not even on the radar. To make matters more
interesting, W. et. al. have made statements that Sadaam has been working
with Al Qaeda esp on the matters of biologicals and chemicals. Al Qaeda has
been very opposed to Sadaam. In fact, Al Qaeda has been working with our
supposed allies to produce these. Anybody remember the CNN tapes of Al Qaeda
gassing the lab puppy with sarin? That was in Northern Iraq. With the kurds.
Not with Sadaam.

Finally, what are the differences between Iraq and Afghanstan
(BTW, a good source for these is www.cia.gov)?

Afghanstan is bigger that Iraq. More terroritory to search.
Afghanstan is mountainous while Iraq is desert. Afghanstan is much easier to
hide in.
Afghanstan has more people. Much easier for Taliban/Al Qaeda to blend in with.
Afghanstan had more people who support the return of Al Qada than people in
Iraq support the return of Sadaam (that is now changing).
Afghanstan has had much larger weapons caches found than were found in Iraq
(most likely due to GWI and the supsequent blockade).
Afghanstan has very large and porous borders to a nation that up until 2 weeks
ago was very neutral towards Taliban/Al Qadea.
So with that in mind, exactly why were we able to get in and out of
afghanstan, but now we are mired in a 'nam style war.
With troops that were trained to capture an area, not hold it?

What is different about Iraq that requires our staying there?
Why do we ignore a clear and present danger such as NK?
How were we able to go in and get out of afghanstan, but not in Iraq?
What requires billions of dollars rebuilding but a society such as afghanstan
does not?

--
cheers
g.r.r.