[CLUE-Talk] Taxes

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Tue Oct 14 05:18:08 MDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 10:15 pm, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> COMMENT: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was
> the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had
> the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the
> kids.

Kevin,

Had you said '40 years ago', I would agree.

But, 100 years ago, people worked like dogs with no vacation, time off or any
thing else considered civilized by today's standards.  The average salary in
1900 was $12.98/week for 59 hours.  There were no labor unions, there were
few (none?) labor laws, children under age of 16 worked and this was
considered normal.

We're the only country in the world today without a legislative requirement
for vacation of employees.  Even Japan has legislation for a minimum of two
weeks vacation.

The average education stopped at 8th grade.  Note that only 50% of 5-19 year
olds were enrolled in schools from 1900 until the *1940s*; now it's 99%).
There was no middle class as of today (this didn't happen until after WWII).
The life expectancy of men was 46.3 years, of women, 47.3.  In 1904, the
Supreme Court *upheld* that negros weren't allowed to vote.

> What the hell happened?

Are you asking why do we have a bunch of taxes?  Because we (citizens) have
more money and our elected officials decided to enact them.  Sometimes (e.g.,
Fed. Income Tax) w/o true backing of the citizens.

Unfortunately, our government is complex.  The issues are complex.  Our
American lifestyle and society is complex.  I think these things make it much
harder for the average person to be involved.

I don't think we need more taxes, I think we need better accoutability of the
taxes we pay.

Later,
Jeff