[CLUE-Talk] Megan McArdle on the Coming SS and Medicare Budget Debacle

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Oct 20 21:29:17 MDT 2003

Hi Folks.

Just thought, since Halloween is coming up, I'd mention this scary story.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/101503A.html

<quote>
In other words, with or without the trust fund, when the expenses of
Social Security and Medicare exceed the value of our contributions, our
budget is suddenly going to have more holes than a warehouse full of
Jarlsberg. And when does this happen? According to the Social Security
trustees, Medicare's expenses start to exceed benefits in 2013, less than
ten years from now. Social Security follows suit in 2017. 2040 isn't the
date when we need to start worrying; it's the date when we finally give up
pretending that Social Security is anything other than a gigantic Ponzi
scheme, and the suckers revolt.
</quote>

jed