[CLUE-Talk] Anti-Verisign petition (was: Re: [CLUE-Tech] How to Thwart Verisign's Latest DNS Trickery)

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Wed Sep 17 19:26:11 MDT 2003

At 03:24 PM 9/17/2003 -0600, Evan Widger wrote:

>Adam Bultman wrote:
>>><quote>
>>>As of a little while ago (it is around 7:45 PM US Eastern on Mon 15 Sep
>>>2003 as I write this), VeriSign added a wildcard A record to the .COM and
>>>.NET TLD DNS zones. The IP address returned is 64.94.110.11, which
>>>reverses to sitefinder.verisign.com. What that means in plain English is
>>>that most mis-typed domain names that would formerly have resulted in a
>>>helpful error message now results in a VeriSign advertising opportunity.
>>>For example, if my domain name was 'somecompany.com,' and somebody typed
>>>'soemcompany.com' by mistake, they would get VeriSign's advertising.
>>></quote>
>

>just thought i'd pass this on, it's an online petition to have ICANN make
>Verisign stop abusing the DNS system.
>
>http://www.petitiononline.com/icanndns/petition.html
>
>i've been hearing more vigilante methods of making it painful for verisign
>to have umpteen billion domains resolve to few IP addresses, invlolving
>mostly pseudo-DDOS tactics, but don't want to go there, as one wrong
>doesn't justify another. (the justification i've read is that most of the
>ideas only hit randomly named domains about 4 or 5 times each, and that if
>they hadn't broken the system, it wouldn't work)
>
>hopefully this petition will force verisign to change their unfair
>business practices and/or give the .com/.net TLD's to someone that will
>act fairly.
>
>-Evan Widger (number 4372 somewhere in there)

slow poke.  I was 491 this morning.

ICANN just signed a renewal of its MOU with the Dept of Commerce to
continue managing the internet.  I intend to chase down the Federal
Register entry and see if the comment period just started.  I think the
failure of ICANN to revoke Verisign's right to manage the root servers
after this means that ICANN is no longer fit to fill its role, either.

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi.  Unfortunately,
they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming."
   -- Simon Slavin in asr