[CLUE-Talk] linux training

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Sep 23 13:16:01 MDT 2003

Charles Oriez wrote:

> Our refurbishing project is attracting a fair number of tech minded
> Boulder HS students, none of whom have any linux exposure, but all of
> whom have heard of it and want in.
>
> My thought is to put together a fundies series of lectures to give
> while we watch installs happen. Anyone have a good syllabus to point
> me to?

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wjk/UnixIntro/
http://www.linux-works.org/sxs/index2.html
http://www.linux-tutorial.info/
http://www.mindiq.com/ilt/tru64/tp100.php

There used to be an on-line Linux book.  I thought it was called Root or
something
like that.  More geared to system administration than to the general
user, but it was
very thourough as I recall.  I know we've talked about it on this list
in the past.  So,
maybe someone else can remember it.  Perhaps we should add some of these
to our
Linux resources page.

> On a separate note, some of the schools that we are giving machines to
> need some basics.  Should we give them the O'Reilly "Running  Linux"
> book, or something else?

Running Linux is a good book and easy to get your hands on.  You can
probably
get the old edition for next to nothing on a bargain book shelf.
Something I've
just noticed is *Introduction* *to* *Unix* *and* *Linux* by John
Muster.  It seems to be getting rave
reviews on Amazon and has a companion lab book. 'Haven't seen it at Softpro
though.  Perhaps it's too new.

>  Does Softpro or O'Reilly have a donor program?

It's worth asking them.  Talk to Shane at the Boulder store or Jim
Treitman (sp?)
the proprietor of the DTC store.  I know that they donate "hurts" (damaged
books) to us and other groups.

Good luck,

Lynn