[CLUE-Talk] Looks like our brains match \w+

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Sep 23 14:19:16 MDT 2003

* Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier (jzb at dissociatedpress.net) wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 08:51, Jef Barnhart wrote:
> > Teh one thing that I have been getting used to id the misspelling of
> > teh.
>
> I was somewhat discouraged to see this study -- it just provides one
> more excuse for people who don't bother to spellcheck.

Don't get discouraged -- before the printing press, there was no notion
of standardized spelling in English.  Chaucer has no sense of consistent
spelling -- if you read _The Canterbury Tales_, you can find the same word
spelled differently in the same tale.

Chaucer did fine -- so will we.

This is actually a cultural thing -- it has nothing to do with how well
written English communicates.  We see misspelling as a sign of lack of
intelligence, lack of seriousness, lack of education, even lack of
culture.  But that can change, and it won't harm the communicative
ability of English at all.

Tim