[CLUE-Talk] HP to Protect Customers from Linux Claims

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Wed Sep 24 10:20:09 MDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:38:50AM -0600, Rita Gibson wrote:
> Thought the group might be interested in seeing this article. It was
> forwarded to me by a non-CLUE friend. Lots of folks are watching this
> lawsuit talk!

Frankly, I'm surprised IBM didn't protect their customers from the outset.
It would have demonstrated that IBM are not only serious about Linux, but
would have also discouraged SCO from suing end-users willy-nilly.  IBM
may have even landed some hardware and/or support deals from the deal.

Now HP have beat them to the punch.  I'm sure there are more than a few
companies out there that are looking at SCO's "invoice," and thinking
maybe they should renew (or purchase extra) their HP support contracts.
Since SCO have a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything other than
self-destructing, it's almost free money for HP.

This might be the time for Red Hat to jump into the fray, and indemnify
anyone running Red Hat Enterprise with a current RHN contract.  It would
be a great reason for anyone running the "hobbyist" version in a production
environment to upgrade.

-k