[CLUE-Talk] Looks like our brains match \w+

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Thu Sep 25 09:52:33 MDT 2003

English has always been evolving. If I were you Zonker I would just get
used to it. There are several things that are against you, and everybody
for that matter.

1) Technology. (MMMmmm... technology)
   Internet.
   SMS text messaging.
   Reliance on spell checkers and grammar checkers.
The rate at which ideas and thoughts are to be conveyed is getting
faster and faster. Speech is the fastest way to convey an idea. Think
about how long it took me to write this message as apposed to standing
in front of you speaking to you. People want to converse at the same
rate as they would in a normal conversation.

Sally: gr8 :)

2) Culture.
   Groups of people not willing or resisting to learn any language.
Think about this next time that you are watching tv. MTV has more
influence on the youth of America than some would like to admit.

Somebody: Shnizzile nizzle dog.(This is closer to slang.)
Somebody else: I ax you where the soap.

There are some groups in in effort to keep their cultural heritage are
hamstringing their kids. "I want my kids to know [insert here]."

3) The schools. (Sorry Roger, Rita.)
   What more can I say. At least with the Aurora Public Schools my
experience has been sub par. It seems that in an effort to get the
schools to do better they are willing to label students. Well we cant
get all the kids up to a national level so we will "cull" them for the
best students.

In ending. We may be seeing the second renaissance of the English
language. When Shakespeare was writing he was inventing words. Some we
still use and some we don't. The internet is moving ideas at a pace not
seen since the invention of the printing press.

Jef