[CLUE-Talk] USENIX '04 Call For Papers

Alex Walker alex at usenix.org
Tue Sep 30 19:34:56 MDT 2003

USENIX '04 Call For Papers
June 27-July 2, 2004, Boston, Massachusetts
 http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/general.html

The 2004 USENIX Annual Technical program committee invites you to contribute
 your ideas, proposals and papers for invited talks, refereed papers,
 work-in-progress reports, and special interest groups (SIG) tracks.  We are
 also pleased to announce that in response to your feedback, the 2004 program
 has been reorganized and expanded. The new format will include additional
 tutorials, more security breakthroughs, and extra sessions devoted to Linux
 and Open Source Software.

We welcome original and innovative papers about modern computing systems,
 emphasizing implementations with measured results. Possible topics include,
 but are not limited to:

* Administration-free systems
* Benchmarking
* Deployment experience
* Distributed and parallel systems
* Embedded systems
* Energy/power management
* File and storage systems
* Mobile systems
* Operating systems
* Networking and network services
* Virtual machines
* Reliability and availability
* Usage studies & workload characterization
* Web technology
* Security, privacy, and trust

Submissions for the general session are due by Tuesday, December 16, 2003
 Please note that December 16th is a hard deadline; no extensions will be
 given.

Submission guidelines and conference details are available on our website:
 http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/generalsubmit.html

FREENIX Track Call For Papers
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/freenix.html

FREENIX is the USENIX Annual Technical Conference's forum on free and open
 source software.  New this year, the 2004 FREENIX track will have special
 emphasis on two related areas:

I. Userland Application and Systems Development:
*  Desktop applications
* P2P and web-based systems
*  Libraries, toolkits and infrastructures
* Scripting languages and applications
*  Novel algorithms and applications
* System management tools
*  Software development tools
* Print systems

II. Free and Open Source Software Engineering:
*  Project-centric: Software specification and design methodologies, novel
 implementation techniques, testing, deployment, readability and security,
 performance and scalability *  Process-centric: Team governance,
 administration and management; planning and forecasting; measuring progress
 and assessing quality *  Integrating tools and theologies

In addition, we would also welcome submission on a wide variety of topics
 including: *  Technical aspects of commercial use of free software
* Graphical user interface tools
*  Interesting deployment of free software
* Large-scale system management
*  Nontechnical aspects including business, legal
* Security and Documentation

* Submissions are due by Tuesday, December 16, 2003
Submission guidelines and conference details are available on our website:
 http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/freenixsubmit.html

Special Interest Groups (SIGs) Call For Proposals
 http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/sigs.html

New in 2004, USENIX will offer a single track devoted to Special Interest
 Groups/Workshops. Confirmed SIGs as of 9/12/03 are UseLinux and Security.

We are currently seeking proposals for SIGs. A sampling of possible topics:
* BSD
* Sysadmin
* Client Computing
* Beowulf/Clusters
* Apple/Mac OS X
* Integration
* Tools
* Messaging/Collaboration
* Languages
* Databases
* Desktop/Gnome/KDE

To submit a proposal for a SIG, please email Ellie Young at ellie at usenix.org

Please join us in developing the best technical conference program ever! We
 look forward to your submissions.

On behalf of the USENIX '04 Organizing Committee

Andrea Arpaci-Dusseau, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Remzi Arpaci-Dusseau, University of Wisconsin, Madison
2004 General Session Program Chairs

Bart Massey, Portland State University
Keith Packard, Hewlett-Packard Cambridge Research Lab
2004 FREENIX Program Chairs