[clue-talk] network issue

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 22 23:00:33 MST 2004

Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen what happens if someone plugs a cable into two
> ports on a switch?  This supposedly happened at work last week and
> brought down the network.  The IT people confiscated all switches to
> prevent this from happening again.  A rather drastic solution,
> considering this is preventing me from hooking up PLCs to do system
> testing since I don't have any spare network ports in the test area.

Yes.  It creates a Layer 2 loop.

If the switches are not total pieces of junk, they implement
spanning-tree and one port gets locked out.

> IT claims that special switches tha

I assume that you were about to say that your IT group thinks switches
of a quality high enough to understand proper spanning-tree are
supposedly too expensive and unavailable to you?  If that's the case,
they're taking the risk that a single cable plugged in wrong can bring
down their network, and it's not a commercial quality network, IMHO.

Nate