[clue-talk] Triaging spam

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Dec 25 18:59:12 MST 2004

Well even though I think it's possible to stop most spam, I have to
disagree with him on this point:
"If you hired someone to read your mail and discard the spam, they would
have little trouble doing it."

I don't know if his philosophy depends on this, but unfortunately this
point probably only applies to most tech people who realize the harm of
ads.  For example, some of the clients I have email set up for actually
subscribe to things that look like spam.  And throwing those out (which
I did with the filter) is considered a false positive to them.  Even
going through by hand, I couldn't find which emails they were talking
about as being non-spam.  The problem is... there are people out there
who like what most of us would call spam.  And unfortunately, the
definition of spam is largely dependant on the receiver's opinion of the
content.