[clue-talk] iptables question

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Mon Dec 27 08:44:47 MST 2004

Been playing around with iptables recently (and yes, it has been a
while) and noticed that there is no longer a DENY policy, just ACCEPT
and DROP.  I am guessing DROP = DENY these days, but when I run nmap, I
see for various ports "open|filtered" by them vs. "closed".  What am I
missing here?  Yes I know

iptables -P INPUT <policy>

is the command line. ;-)  Just wondering about the policy
changes/differences in particular.

Basic idea for some specifics, I am trying to lock out everything first,
then ACCEPT certain ports (22, 25 (out only), 80, 443, 993, and 995 in
this case) for a prototype server I am building.  When I run nmap, I
would prefer to see only those above ports "open" with everyone else
listed as "closed", not "open|filtered" peferably.

TIA.

--- Crawford
--
The Linux ETC Company