[clue-talk] The War On...?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Dec 29 14:27:10 MST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 1:56 PM, Don Collier wrote:

>  In my opinion, every American has a duty to obey the law now matter
> how unjust that we feel it is.  There are ways to make your voice
> heard other than breaking the law.  We cant pick and choose which laws
> that we wish to obey

I disagree.  An unjust law should not be followed by the citizens --
period.  Of course, the citizens should be willing to add doing time to
their protest, too, and non-violence is critical, unless the law is
particularly heinous.

The hard part is deciding what unjust means.  America's drug laws are
almost certainly 'unjust' in a very real sense, but I am not sure that
disobeying them is requisite.  And then there are laws that I,
personally, find unjust, but that I recognize benefit the society as a
whole, which means I should follow them.  Like prescription drug laws.
I am perfectly capable of doing enough research (including consulting
my doctor) to know when and what drugs I might need for my health, and
the government has no place telling me I can't buy those drugs via
whatever channel I choose.  I also recognize that our society
desperately needs laws governing who can buy and sell prescription
drugs, as most citizens are incapable of looking out for themselves
here.

> When you find those documents I would be interested in reading them.

Seems like _Civil Disobedience_ by HD Thoreau would be a good place to
start.

But in this issue, there is no civil disobedience.  But, it is also
patently ludicrous that a crime  which caused no physical harm, (and in
all likelihood fairly minimal actual monetary loss: the numbers bandied
about for copyright holder losses are completely fanciful), should have
the potential for such a long sentence.  There is one reason for this:
bought and paid for legislation.

The greater good is not being given even the slightest consideration by
lawmakers -- they are accepting (obfuscated) bribes in exchange for
stiff laws in an attempt to shore up the bottom line of companies
unwilling to confront the 21st Century.

Tim
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp