[clue-talk] The War On...?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Dec 29 22:26:33 MST 2004

I agree.  We definitely don't want people thinking they can make their
own rules and not have to live in society.  But I think a lot of people
are just disgruntled by the media industry.  Yes, sharing copyrighted
works is (and should be) illegal.  But it's been perverted way far
beyond appropriate protection for people who want to put forth effort
into creating works of art.  Let's forget about the insane amount of
time that a copyright is valid (should someone who writes one really
popular book in their lifetime never have to ever work or grace the rest
of us with their magnificent prose again?)  Instead, lets just look at
the industry in question:  music and video.  Maybe someone can explain
to me why the RIAA can escape anti-trust laws.  Do they still exist?
(Trust: A combination of firms or corporations for the purpose of
reducing competition and controlling prices throughout a business or an
industry. dictionary.com)

So I would agree that in this specific case that sharing the music you
like with all your friends is probably the wrong way to go about this...
but if so let's start discussing alternatives.

Angelo