[CLUE-Talk] Re: [CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Wed Feb 18 22:50:50 MST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 8:36 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> [I'm continuing this over on talk.]
>
> One thing I don't like about OpenOffice is that it takes so long to
> load.

You can change the rc file to remove the splash screen, which increases load
times.  Also, definitely upgrade to OO 1.1 -- it's *much* faster on load than
OO 1.0.

1)  edit the /var/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/sofficerc, which is the
system-wide resource control (rc) file for OO, and then:

Change:
	Logo=1
To:
	Logo=0

and no more splash screen.

If you don't know where your sofficerc file is do this:

$ locate *.rc | grep office
/home/jccann/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/sofficerc
/var/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/sofficerc

> It seems to load everything for each individual piece of software
> in OpenOffice which takes forever the first time.  I guess it's like
> Mozilla.  Shouldn't they be moving more towards individual office programs?

This is an artificat of Star Office 5.x, which has a 'desktop' environment --
all apps are available from the desktop (IMHO, it was quite annoying).  The
OO developers pulled apart the individual programs from the desktop, but only
superficially for SO 6/OO 1.  Newer releases should add to the separation so
that not every application is loaded.

Jeff

--
http://isuma.org/