[CLUE-Talk] Re: [CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Thu Feb 19 11:11:34 MST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:13:51 -0500
Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Another thing OpenOffice needs is a prettier interface.  It's only
> slightly better than StarOffice.  It needs more colors and better icons
> to start with.  Now I'm not suggesting we go to the extreme that MS went
> to with XP, but I do love the Firefox/Thunderbird icons, KDE, Bluecurve
> look, etc.  I'm thinking about creating some icons for OpenOffice myself
> and seeing how far they get (if I can come up with some decent ones).
> Does anyone know the format/sizes the icons should be?

This has been done: The Ximian folks have created better icons for OpenOffice
-- if you check out OpenOffice.org in Fedora Core 2, for example, you'll see the
new icons. I'm not sure how long it will take for the changes to roll into new
versions of OpenOffice, but the Ximian folks (I believe) contributed back all of
their changes to OOo quite some time ago -- it does make a difference.

You might also be able to download the Ximian version using Red Carpet...
however, Ximian's RPMs tend to bork things on my SUSE 9 system that should be
wholly unrelated to Ximian GNOME (Perl, for example...) I had to get rid of
Ximian on my desktop because their Perl stuff broke several programs I happen to
like, such as Amphetadesk...

Zonker
--
"A leader is best when people barely know that he exists,
less good when they obey and acclaim him, worse when they