[CLUE-Talk] Tolkien and allegory

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Sat Jan 10 14:17:32 MST 2004

I remember reading Tolkien's assertion that he strongly disliked
allegory.  The fact that some people think they see allegory in Lord Of
The Rings doesn't mean that he used it.  He was an expert on Anglo-Saxon
literature and also knew Celtic, Finnish and Germanic myths.  He had
plenty of material to work with in creating Middle Earth, so it is
natural that sometimes there are similarities.

While it is true that he was a devout Catholic, he also did not like
people trying to read Christianity into Lord Of The Rings.  Calling LOTR
a profoundly Christian myth is absurd.

Tolkien created languages and crafted peoples and stories around those
languages.  He started doing this when he was still a student.  He
incorporated some of that into The Hobbit, and even more into LOTR.  If
you want to see this in great detail, read Silmarrilion and the set of
Book of Lost Tales.  You might want to read other books as well, such as
Leaf By Niggle.  And read his scholarly writings as well.