[CLUE-Talk] Only in Colorado and oh how true.

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Fri Jan 16 08:00:37 MST 2004

Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> writes:

>> > I know who Alferd Packer was.  Don't know an Alfred. :)
>>
>>There is a race in tribute to Packer every March.  Lot's of fun if you
>>enjoy slogging through the mud and the Platte River!
>>
>>http://coachweber.com/2003_alferd_packer_course.htm
>>
>>A truly Colorado-type event.
>
> but have you visited his grave? I have

I have been to the Packer Party memorial (in Lakecity? or is it
Creed?)   If that is what you mean.

I am not even really sure where Packer's grave is located.  There was
a bunch of news about Packer and whether or not he actually killed the
party or just ate them.  There is a theory that someone else in the
party had killed everyone while Packer was scouting a way out.  When
he returned, the same individual attacked Packer and Packer killed him
defending himself.  As to the cannibalism, if Packer were alive today
he'd probably claim "it tastes like chicken!"  :-)

-Dale