[CLUE-Talk] ... a SECOND new note in the usa/iraq tune

bill ehlert ehlert_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 02:11:36 MST 2004

Head of U.S. weapons search quits
CIA adviser says he doubts Iraq had huge
stockpile

Greg Miller and Bob Drogin, Los Angeles Times

Washington -- The leader of the U.S. search for
banned weapons in Iraq resigned Friday and said
that he thinks Iraq engaged in no large-scale
production of chemical or biological weapons in
the 1990s and destroyed what it had left before
the American-led invasion last year.

Special CIA adviser David Kay's decision to step
down was a blow to the White House, which based
its case for war with Iraq largely on claims that
Saddam Hussein's regime possessed large
quantities of chemical and biological weapons and
had reconstituted its nuclear weapons program.

"I don't think they existed," Kay said in an
interview with the Reuters news agency. "What
everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced
after the end of the last Gulf War, and I don't
think there was a large-scale production program
in the '90s."

    more at:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/01/24/MNGU84H6191.DTL