[CLUE-Talk] ... a SECOND new note in the usa/iraq tune

bill ehlert ehlert_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 23:39:36 MST 2004

--- Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2004 2:11 am, bill ehlert
> wrote:
> >
> > "I don't think they existed," Kay said in an
> > interview with the Reuters news agency. "What
> > everyone was talking about is stockpiles
> produced
> > after the end of the last Gulf War, and I
> don't
> > think there was a large-scale production
> program
> > in the '90s."
>
> Read the full text of Kay's interview by
> Reuters:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=444516&section=news

**  that's worth reading.

    it includes this:

Q: What happened to the stockpiles of biological
and chemical weapons that everyone expected to be
there?

A: "I don't think they existed.

"I think there were stockpiles at the end of the
first Gulf War and those were a combination of
U.N. inspectors and unilateral Iraqi action got
rid of them. I think the best evidence is that
they did not resume large-scale production, and
that's what we're really talking about, is large
stockpiles, not the small. Large stockpiles of
chemical and biological weapons in the period
after '95."

Q. After '95?

A. "We're really talking about from the mid-90s,
when people thought they had resumed production."

Q. What about the nuclear program?

A. "The nuclear program was as we said in the
interim report, I think that will be a final
conclusion. There had been some restart of
activities, but they were rudimentary.

"It really wasn't dormant because there were a
few little things going on, but it had not
resumed in anything meaningful."