[CLUE-Talk] a new note in the usa/iraq tune \\ "barbarians"

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Tue Jan 27 20:05:41 MST 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 6:26 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> What's the definition of Barbaric?  Opposing ideological views of
> another country?  I mean if you ask me, the fact that so me European
> women don't shave their arm pits or legs is way more "barbaric" than the
> death penalty.  (Barbaric = hairy)

The hair comment made me laugh.

But, I think most folks in this discussion are using the first definition of
barbaric -- 1b - possessing or characteristic of a cultural level more
complex than primitive savagery but less sophisticated than advanced
civilization

One entry found for barbaric.
Main Entry: bar*bar*ic
Pronunciation: bär-'bar-ik
Function: adjective

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of barbarians b : possessing or
characteristic of a cultural level more complex than primitive savagery but
less sophisticated than advanced civilization
2 a : marked by a lack of restraint : WILD b : having a bizarre, primitive, or
unsophisticated quality

--
http://isuma.org/