[CLUE-Talk] interesting leadership point this morning on KNRC

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Wed Jan 28 13:05:25 MST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:34:34 -0700
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> A caller to KNRC radio pointed out this morning that in placing the
> blame on CIA & the intelligence community, Mr. Bush is breaking one of
> the first laws of true leadership.  "The buck stops here."
>
> I found that insightful -- if there was a failure of the
> CIA/Intelligence community, a true leader would say "my fault" and come
> up with a plan to keep that from happening again.

In fairness to Bush, this is Standard Operating Procedure for politicos
these days -- pass the buck to someone else, anyone else, as long as
they can deny fault. I'm not condoning it, just saying that I would be
duly impressed with any politician that would step up and own the
mistake rather than trying to blame it on others... these days, personal
responsibility doesn't seem to be in vogue.

Best,
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier [jzb at dissociatedpress.net]
--
"A leader is best when people barely know that he exists,
less good when they obey and acclaim him, worse when they