[CLUE-Talk] Multiline Regex

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 2 11:24:24 MDT 2004

Hey,

I am LaTeX-ifying a large text file (430 pages in the PDF/DVI).  It has a
glossary that makes up the bulk of these pages.

It is using the convention of _example_ to signal the meaning of old English
words in each entry.  So I want to find all these underscore pairs and change
them to \textit{example}.  It would be super easy if all of them were only a
line or less.  But a lot of them span multiple lines, like _a longer
multiline example_.

I kludged VIM in to giving me a multiline regex to sourround the glossary
headwords into paragraph sectioning, but I am having no luck with this one.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found a sed script on the web to do something similar to this, but I know
nothing about sed, so can't implement it without a lot of new learning.  Perl
can probably do it, but then I'd have to remember Perl.  Is there a way to
make VIM do mulitilne regex?  I haven't found much on Google.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...