[CLUE-Talk] Linux programmer needed with Kernel 2.6

Susan Hausman SHausman at JBCharles.com
Wed Jun 2 15:16:16 MDT 2004

I do want to put my 2 cents into this discussion.  I don't believe that
$50/hr is unreasonable for most positions (plus we can go higher if you are
looking to work on a 1099 basis).  I am really just looking for some
qualified people that I can network with to assist my client.  They let us
know what they are willing to pay and we are not close to billing $125/hr
for this position. We will reveal our bill rates to the consultants we work
with to let them know that we are reasonable with our rates.

Please let me know if you are aware of Kernel Programmers who are available
to work a contract.  I would love to help someone who is currently off
contract.

Susan Hausman
Senior Technical Recruiter
JB Charles, Inc. - IT Resource Solutions
303-390-4567
shausman at jbcharles.com

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Angelo Bertolli
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 2:48 PM
To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Talk] Linux programmer needed with Kernal 2.6

> I agree with that...it's hard to feel underpaid at $50 an hour. But is
> $50 an hour really unreasonable for a "senior-level" kernel programmer?
> Particularly for a short-term project where they're getting no benefits,
> job security or anything?

When we contract out, we get charged $125/hr for ANYTHING (or more).  Do
the companies really take that much of a cut off the top?

I think the rule during regular times, at least in the engineering fields,
was that if you were going to be a contractor, you could be expected to be
employed 1/3 of the time.

> So... I guess I don't see the $50 per hour figure for kernel developers
> being out of line since I see kernel development as being much harder
> than what I do. (At least, I can do what I do, and I haven't a clue
> about coding for the Linux kernel...) It's executive salaries that I've
> always seen as being out of line. Folks who have no specialized
> knowledge at all (other than who they know...) that pull down six and
> seven-figure salaries for laying people off...that always seemed rather
> unreasonable to me.

Yes, this is my sentiment too.  It's not so much that $50 is low (actually
if it was a 4-month contract, that wouldn't be so bad), but that it's
always better to make money using other people's skills instead of having
some of your own.

Angelo
Unsubscribe or manage your options: