[CLUE-Talk] Marketing Your Linux Skills

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat May 8 08:06:27 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
>> I'd love to turn my aging Win95 box into a Linux playground. But as
>> Angelo
>> pointed out, OpenOffice still isn't good enough. So, I keep the old
>> thing
>> around mainly to run Word97.
>

> I'd contend that OpenOffice is plenty good for something as simple as
> a Resume' is supposed to be.  If you're using features that OO doesn't
> have, your resume' is waaaaay too complex... and no one is going to
> bother to ever read the entire thing.

You have a point, because a lot of people don't use tables in their
resume like I do.  I could remove the tables and work around the
incompatibilities, and just make it "short enough" to be sure it fit on
the number of pages in both formats (and use page breaks).  Oh, and I'd
probably want to make sure I had the same fonts as you have on Windows.
And actually even with tables, the resume might turn out ok: but that's
the problem, even after all the precautions I wouldn't really KNOW how
it looks in Word.  And I sort of suspect that MS will take efforts to
make sure future versions of Word screw up the format as saved by
OpenOffice if they can find ANY sort of difference whatsoever.  I
suppose it's simple enough to spend a couple $ at Kinko's.