[CLUE-Talk] Marketing Your Linux Skills

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat May 8 10:35:20 MDT 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 09:58, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Now, I'm not saying the OO is incapable of handling resumes. Not at all.
> But, when your target format is something other than OO native, that's
> were you can run into problems. I've even encountered errors with export
> to PDF. So, in a document as important as a resume, no, I'm not going to
> use OO, if the end-result must be a Word document. It's not worth the
> risk.

I kind of figured that's what you meant.  I know someone (my Mom) who doesn't
much care about computers, but does document preparations, or has, very
intensely in the corporate world.  She would make project proposals, often a
hundred of pages long, worth millions of dollars.  They were, understandably,
very up tight about how these documents were formatted.  It could mean $50
million to their firm if their sales pitch document turned somebody off.

She used to love Wordperfect, and hated MS Word.  But, when the office
switched to MS Office, she had no choice but to use Office exclusively.
Absolutely no option for anything else.  Was it because of the features of MS
Office?  Nope.  It was because of proprietary format lock-in.  The changes
are generally minor in a conversion (sometimes, though, horribly drastic).
But when you have spent weeks building a document, and serious money (or your
job), depends on it, little differences aren't acceptable.

Only MS Office can reliably produce MS Office proprietary binary.  Until the
format is open, it will always be that way.  It is amazing how much power
Microsoft has gained by that one little 'feature.'  OO isn't perfect, but
then again, neither is Word.  Indeed, compated to WP 5.1 Word is a pitiful
piece of crap.  But you learn to live with it, because if you don't 'speak'
Word, you often lose money.  Or don't get the job.  That sucks.

Tim
--
Hello_World.c... 17 Errors, 31 Warnings.
Timothy Klein  | teece at silverklein.net