[CLUE-Talk] Portable servers?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 28 13:04:35 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>http://www.naturetechws.com/
>
>Their products seem to include portable SPARC workstations/servers, etc.
>
>What is the advantage of having a "portable server" or is there one?  I'm
>not sure what to think about this.  Are there other portable SPARC
>machines, and are tehy useful at all?
>
>Angelo

Some people have applications that only run on Solaris, and thus need
test boxes, or boxes for the Field Engineers, etc... there is a cottage
industry that makes Sun-compatible laptops, for example.  Looking at
that website, these guys appear to do those too.

There's also just companies and/or admins who love Solaris sooooo much
that they want Solaris-based everything.

Another place you see the purchase of portable and laptop Solaris
machines is in highly proceduralized shops (defense contractors) where
the specs say "everything must be Solaris running these versions of X,
Y, and Z and nothing else is authorized", especially in shops running
Trusted Solaris (a very funky/interesting secured version of Solaris
that has a plethora of access controls, usually used in environments
where information is rated as being Classified or higher to enforce that
only the people that need to see that information do see it).

So in environments like that, the admin has to buy a Solaris laptop to
do their job... stuff like that.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com