[CLUE-Talk] rdesktop

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Thu Nov 4 08:03:30 MST 2004

> This is the normal behavior for Windows XP, which is not a terminal server
> -- it just has a
> single-user terminal access.  In particular, if you attempt to log in
> remotely as the same user
> who is already physically logged in, the older session is closed
> automatically.

I'm not sure if you're saying the older session is locked at the console,
or is logged off.

Technically it is locked, not logged off. In other words, when you log in
through rdesktop you will see all your old apps that were running. One
awesome feature of rdesktop is that sound is also piped across, so if your
computer beeps or there is music playing you can hear it on the other end.

The remote desktop "server" piece is a function of XP, however you can get
a client for other OS's besides XP. I frequently use a Windows 2000 box to
attach to an XP box at home over SSH, it works great. You can also use a
terminal services client, so if you have one for Linux then go nuts.

There is also a cooperative feature to let multiple people see the screen
at once, but I haven't used it. From looking at the Windows XP options,
this was intended as a remote helpdesk feature.