[CLUE-Talk] Record distance Wi-fi connection

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Nov 4 21:57:08 MST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:34:07 -0700
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> The really impressive one is Brian, WA1ZMS with his 79.7 km contact at
> 241 GHz on February 17th of this year.  With all "homebrewed" radio
> gear.  Yes there's no decimal point in there -- 241 GHz.  Brian's voice
> is also heard pretty regularly right here in Colorado -- through the
> Internet radio link system running on Linux.  ;-)  He's not on the radio
> much (surprisingly - hey, he likes his workbench stuff, what can I
> say?), but we talk to him pretty often and he's the person who set up
> the link in Lynchberg, VA for his Ham club.

Me, I'd be happy just to get better AM reception on my HiFi here in the
basement. Currently, I have about 6' of copper wire stuck in the AM socket
on the back of the tuner. If a Pringles can could improve that -- well
hey, it's not like I have a shortage of those. :)

I've seen various drawings for tunable loop AM antennas, but I think they
assume knowledge I don't have.

Someday, I'll have my own laptop computer and wok-scoop antenna. I figure
any excuse to use duct-tape on a high-tech operation is a good thing.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/