[CLUE-Talk] help with spammer information

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sat Nov 6 05:59:30 MST 2004

At 01:42 AM 11/6/2004, Mike Staver wrote:
>Well, my main concern is that I will get blacklisted somehow, and also
>that the spammer won't stop because he/she doesn't have a reason to. It's
>been going on for almost 2 straight weeks now, and I can tell the exact
>times the bastard is sending out the mail, because from 6 PM to 12 AM
>every day I get around 100 bounce back messages.... which means a majority
>of those emails are going through I'm sure, and it angers me. The
>originating IP addresses range from cable modems in the U.S. to computers
>over seas.  The person responsible is obviously in charge of a bunch of
>zombie PCs, and will probably never get caught unless I can trace the path
>of the money, which is probably not within my abilities.   I've looked up
>all the whois information on the domains people are being directed do, and
>it's all completely bogus and false information that had been provided.
>The domain names are also not real words, or anything even resembling a
>real word.  Here is an example of one:

IANAL

1) wherever the registration has bogus information, liked a dead address,
file a complaint against the registrar with ICANN.  I have the complaint
form available at my spam page at http://oriez.org  include documentation
that the address is bouncing.  ICANN gives the registrar some limited
amount of time to lock down the domain if the bad information is not fixed

2) Make shirnkwrap licensing work for you.  Post a notice on your domain
that any for emails sent out with your domain name in the from, the
langauge of message and any content on any referenced web pages is
copyrighted by you. Note that anyone objecting to your policies has a sole
remedy the option of ceasing to use your domain name in their mail.

3) Start sending DMCA notices demanding that the pages be taken down,
pursuant to your copyright ownership of them, and demand the identities of
the people paying for the pages

--

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
"Drag God into politics, and you'll ruin his reputation in no time." --