[CLUE-Talk] help with spammer information

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sat Nov 6 11:32:33 MST 2004

At 12:58 PM 11/6/2004, Matt Gushee wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:59:30AM -0500, Charles Oriez wrote:
> >
> > 2) Make shirnkwrap licensing work for you.  Post a notice on your domain
> > that any for emails sent out with your domain name in the from, the
> > langauge of message and any content on any referenced web pages is
> > copyrighted by you. Note that anyone objecting to your policies has a sole
> > remedy the option of ceasing to use your domain name in their mail.
> >
> > 3) Start sending DMCA notices demanding that the pages be taken down,
> > pursuant to your copyright ownership of them, and demand the identities of
> > the people paying for the pages
>
>That's an interesting tactic. Has anyone actually done this? Has it been
>tested in court? And, as a practical matter, how enforceable would this
>be against foreign entities?

It's been discussed on nanae.  I am waiting for the next spammer to use my
domain to try it out.  DMCA violations don't require an active law suit to
subpoena information from third parties.  That is the primary
attraction.  I'll let you know the outcome.

--

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
"Drag God into politics, and you'll ruin his reputation in no time." --