[CLUE-Talk] AITP dinner - RFID

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Nov 16 01:00:03 MST 2004

This Thursday, Nov 18, the Mile High chapter of the Association of
Information Technology Professionals will be hosting it's monthly dinner at
Executive Tower Inn.  Happy hour at 5:30 followed by dinner, and the speaker:

Keynote: RFID – the next technology revolution? by Mark Richtermeyer,
SpitFire Group

details at http://denveraitp.org  Reservations, before COB Wednesday, are
highly encouraged.

Recently, Walmart issued an edict that its major vendors will make use of
RFIDs in its products. Meanwhile, the major pharm companies and the FDA are
looking at ways to use RFIDs to track product at the wholesale level to
help guard against substitutions of counterfeit drugs (A pharmacy in
California recently found that it had been sold fake neupogen with the
potential for fatal results to cancer patients).  EPIC and others have
raised privacy concerns.

I will be registering as AITP's volunteer lobbyist for the upcoming
Colorado legislative session and we would be interested in hearing your
thoughts on the topic.  What if anything ought the Colorado legislature
involve itself in within this area? What are other states doing?

Homework:
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/RFID/
http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=15559&c=207