[CLUE-Talk] tar 1-liner for moving data from partition to partition

dave price dp_kinaole at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 17:38:36 MDT 2004

cluebies,

Office Depot has 200gb drives on sale this week for
$99 in Denver this week.  (yes that is $0.50 per
gigabyte)

Reallocating my drive space reminded me to post the
'1-liner' that I am pretty sure I learned here first.

tar cf - . | (cd "$1"; tar xvf -)

cd into the 'source' directory first. "$1" is the
target directory.  Also works as a bash script.

Runs quickly even over accross a network wher you have
mounted the source/target as needed and preserves
attributes very nicley.

Hava a lot of fun.

aloha,
dave