[clue-talk] Wispertel

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 11 10:37:30 MDT 2005

dperkins at techangle.com wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Wispertel?  They offer
>wireless ISP service.
>
>www.wispertel.com

I know you already got a number of positive responses, but I'll add
another $0.02.

I'm on the tech crew and BoD of a ham radio club, The Colorado Repeater
Association -- www.w0cra.org.  (Yeah, don't laugh at the website, it
sucks.  We know.  Heh.)

We've been using Wispertel for wireless connectivity to our Conifer
Mountain site for over a year and it's been virtually flawless.  Our
radio site is actually higher than the site Wispertel's RF folks wanted
us hanging off of, so it looks pretty funny to have the dish with built
in up-tilt pointing down at the ground from the tower, but it works!  (GRIN)

I also know a couple of their operations guys personally, and they have
something going for them that many wireless ISP's did not, at least
early on when WISP services started up around here... and this may have
changed since then, but at first -- most local WISP services were mom
and pop shops, who were computer people first, and RF
engineers/techicians second.

Wispertel's core operations team were RF guys first (most worked in the
2-way radio and cellular industries, building a lot of the cellular
infrastructure in Colorado for a couple of different carriers and
running their own 2-way businesses), and then they quickly learned that
F/OSS software was the successful path for their ISP to be profitable in
the long-run.  Being that they know RF very well, their over-the-air
backbone (45 Mb/s with mulitple redundant routes to most main sites) and
technology is very good.

They also know without a shadow of a doubt that Windows servers don't
provide them the reliability or the simplicity they need to provide a
24/7 service.  They originally started out with some FreeBSD stuff, and
very early on migrated almost everything over to Linux.  Every time I
talk to them they're adding/upgrading hardware, and they're not skimping
on putting money back into their infrastructure, which is more than I
can say for even some of the local wireline-based ISP's.

IMHO, the only other well-designed wireless network that competes
locally is Mesa Networks, and they did it by purchasing a Motorola
Canopy system.  Wispertel took off-the-shelf gear from Trango Wireless
and probably paid a whole lot less overall for their RF gear, but had to
have some clue about how to build/design a network.  Canopy is great
gear, and from everything I've read, rediculously easy for the
installers/techs to set up... but damn spendy -- like most things with
Mother M's name on them.  Mother M loves fully-integrated "buy the whole
thing and service contracts for the rest of your life" type systems...
Trango seems more the "here's the pieces to build something cool...
we'll help, but it's your network" kind of folks.  Both have a place in
the world.  Both businesses seem to be doing well, but Mesa's going to
be paying off their radio gear a for lot longer than Wispertel, I
think.  Just my opinion, looking at retail prices and guessing about
what each gets for discounts from distributors.

"Little things" make a big difference with the customer's experience
when operating on a wireless network, and these guys pay attention to
detail.  Stuff like properly grounding antennas, and things that the
"data geeks turned RF guy" type shops didn't even know were going to
bite them you-know-where later on.  An example was when we mentioned we
were putting our Antenna/Access Point on a communications tower, the
Wispertel folks knew without question that their system would have to be
integrated into the mountaintop site's tower ground and lighting
protection system.  They pointed out that (ironically) Motorola makes a
grounding device for the Canopy gear that does exactly this, and helped
us find a source of the device, which we integrated with our Polyphaser
panel and site lighting protection the week after we installed the gear.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Wispertel to anyone.

Nate