[clue-talk] Secure Deletion of Data

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 28 14:26:41 MDT 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> This reminds me of something I read online once where someone said
> that the only way to make sure the data was gone was to burn the media
> itself completely to ash and then to mix it with water until it forms
> a paste.  Talk about paranoid.  If anyone out there can take my
> incinerated media and read the information off of it, I think I must
> not have a very good grasp on reality.  I guess that's why I'd bother
> making a paste.
>
> Angelo

It's all about degrees of security... there's probably no one out there
who wants your data, but there are plenty of people who want data from
places like DoD, FBI, NSA, etc.

As with all security, design your security plan (including data
destruction) around the most reasonable threats for whatever data you're
protecting.  Otherwise, you'll go bankrupt "securing" your network.

Nate