[clue-talk] Software Freedom Day, Sept 10th

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 08:54:21 MDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Dave Price <kinaole at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a user id on the site, and downloaded the openCD, but it says
> something about needing  this Windows OS thing installed to use it?

Also, the openCD contains versions of certain software that have known
security vulnerabilities (Firefox and Thunderbird for sure - others
maybe).

Also, the live Ubuntu on the disk seems like a combination good
idea/headache.  As the user reboots their machine with the CD in it as
required by pdfcreator or just because they like to reboot, they
accidentally boot into Ubuntu.  Can you imagine the phone call from
your technophobe uncle about that one?  "This openCD has taken over my
MSWindows and replaced it with Ubuntu - it can't find any of my files!
 You killed my computer!"

OpenCD seems like a great idea to me, but the need for a respin and
the live CD make me think that I should donate some of my time to
them.

Greg