[clue-talk] Africa will not use Linux....

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Aug 27 15:27:42 MDT 2005

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> because it's too unsecure.
>
> See here for more info
>
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/aug05/0805ahac.html
>
> How does this stack up with most people's thoughts?

Interesting. But who can say what Africa will or will not do, since it's
a large and incredibly diverse continent? And it seems to me I have
heard that many Africans are in fact turning to Linux, though I can't
recall any specifics.

I won't comment extensively on Chinery-Hesse's criticisms of Linux--not
knowing all that much about where he lives, I can only judge his logic
at a superficial level, and I'm sure you all can do the same. But his
statement that

     if we went for open-source, we would be relegated to basically doing
     installation and training,

sounds to me much more like rationalization than rationality. Why can't
Ghanaians be open-source or Linux developers just as well as anyone else?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA