[clue-talk] Need new Laptop, Turnkey OS, or easy OS install

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 21:22:36 MST 2005

Rex,

While not new, I have been very happy with a Dell Lattitude that I picked up
on ebay from "Dell Financial Services"  - like new, with a little warranty.

These are very well-understood boxes, and it was easy to find  things like
X-configuration  files  ready to  run on the  net.

You can also get newer latitudes on Dell's refurb site, and the brand-new
ones are excellent as well.

aloha,
dave

On 12/19/05, rex evans <rexfordevans at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need a new laptop with a Linux OS.
>
> I do not want it for SysAdmin experiments,
> though later I might do some of this.
>
> I want to experiment with Open Source
> math calculations, simulation, opengl,
> and simple data-base stuff.
>
> Looking for a normal new laptop, min:
> 2 USBs, CDrw DVDr, 100gig HD, sound...
> all the usual MS type stuff.
>
> I investigated this about 2.5 years ago,
> but linux-laptops had a large premium
> over MS-laptops of the same hardware.
>
> I have used Unix and Linux several years
> ago.
>
> Are there any turnkey systems or easily
> converted laptops that you guys like?
>
> rex evans