[clue-talk] Computer Security

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Feb 5 11:38:53 MST 2005

Timothy Klein wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2005, at 10:39 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> For a windows machine which isn't protected by at least a proxy to
>> the internet, you should download a firewall (like ZoneAlarm) BEFORE
>> installing windows, and install it before you ever connect to the
>> Internet.
>

> That of course raises the question, if all you have is one Windows
> machine, that you just brought home from the store, how the hell do
> you get to the internet to get the firewall and security patches?  I
> sure hope Windows machines that people buy today come with a firewall
> enabled by default, or most people will never have a chance.  On
> broadband networks, Windows is compromised in a matter of minutes if
> it is plugged in unprotected.  So are just-home-from Wal*Mart Windows
> PCs secure?  I haven't bought a machine that had windows since '96.

You're too kind.  I was once in a situation as you describe on dialup,
and I got something within about 5 seconds.  But it was a cheapo dialup
company completely infected.  I had just installed Windows and connected
to the internet to download the firewall.  After I got the firewall, I
noticed it blocking outgoing attempts of an RPC exploit... so I saved
the firewall download to another partition and had to reinstall Windows.