[clue-talk] I wish I'd known

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 12:09:52 MST 2005

How to keep up with updates and upgrades while dealing smoothly with dependency issues.  *NIX and
the software that's available for it changes so fast that it can be difficult to keep up with, and
dependency issues can easily add severe frustration to the problem.  I run into people every now
and then who say they just throw their hands up and re-install Linux entirely when faced with
update conflicts.  There has to be a better, more elegant solution that can be presented to them.

--- skipworthy <skipworthy at realivetech.com> wrote:

> fellow Nixians...A discussion I was having with someone else made me
> curious...Although most people gravitate to Linux (GNU, BSD whatever) in
> the course of already being competent in 'computer', many aren't
> necessarily right away. I know I came to *nix from Windows, and had to
> grok many many things that were different in order to be successful and
> enjoy it both as a hobby and a prefession. So the question is : What do
> you wish you knew or understood sooner when getting started with Linux ?
> Or what, in your opinion should a 'newbie' know or understand?

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)