[clue-talk] Intel and eBay recycle computer program

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 11:37:29 MST 2005

On 01-08 08:17, Jeff Cann wrote:
> Leave it to eBay to do something we've needed for a long time:
>
> "You don't want to throw them out, and you don't know what to do with them,"
> said eBay chief executive Meg Whitman, who launched the "Rethink" initiative
> at the annual International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas."
>
> http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp%3Fid%3D8950

That's cool. Along these lines, I've put items on denverfreecycle, part of
freecycle [http://www.freecycle.org/] and most have gone pretty fast. I had
a 14" monitor and an Alpha to get rid of, for example. Based on the response
I got on the Alpha and the monitor, I'd say there is still a need for
computers locally...many folks confused the Alpha with an Intel-compatible
that could run Win9x/XP.

I'm not sure how fast individual parts would go. I have yet to have someone
claim my Nokia's battery, which I really don't want to toss.

I was just wondering about such software to wipe a drive - I was going to
ask here if anyone knew of a Linux bootable floppy/CD that'd wipe a drive
for example. I imagine Tom's root boot could do it? Thanks for the link.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
The first duty of society is to give each of its members the possibility of
fulfilling his destiny. When it becomes incapable of performing this duty it
must be transformed.
-Alexis Carrel, "Reflections on Life"